Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Huge relief

Huge relief.

Huge pain in my legs from the Dex; haven't gotten "Dex voice" yet but that is coming so I'll take some Pantroprazole before I hit the sack.

Huge bill from the best Italian food in LA, but it was worth it. Some amazing wine courtesy of my wine group.

2005 Kongsgaard "The Judge" Chardonnay - (the one I brought, and I thought one of the three best)
2003 Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc, cant recall the winery, but quite nice
2001 Riseling (German) which did not pair well with the food but which would have been quite nice if paired better
1995 Brunello di Montalcino from another producer whose name is forgotten -- a very nice bottle from a great year
1992 Jarvis -- I didn't recover from cancer to drink wine this mediocre -- the clear odd-man out for the evening
1986 Gruaud Larose -- a stupendous Bordeaux which is drinking wonderfully right now
2000 Sine Qua Non Incognito -- nothing less than the greatest Grenache ever made in the United States

There were six of us over three hours, and I had a driver for the evening, so it's not quite as bad as it looks just from reading the long list. Suffice to say, though, it was good to blow off my concerns of earlier in the day. By the end of the second wine, I was okay. But the fifth wine, my primary concern was no longer cancer, but the poor quality of that bottle. :)

This is an abject lesson in the need to remain vigilant, and a reminder that even when one achieves CR, one has to wait the magic 72 months before one can be confident that one is really cured for good. I remind myself, also, that the medications I am on for maintenance while in complete remission are the same medicines that most doctors prescribe to people with highly active disease. I remain on the "kill it, kill it, kill it!!!" program and I'm happy to be here.

So now, off to take an Ambien so I can hopefully sleep.

Nighty night, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment