Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A quick response from BB on leg cramps.

I emailed him last night to tell him there's an error on his website (in one place it says Myeloma is not curable!) and I mentioned in passing the leg cramps. Now mind you, GD (who I do think is probably a good doctor) sort of fumfered* a bit and initial said nothing other than "sorry, can't give you quinine." With a bit of prodding suggested potassium. Then two minutes later added Magnesium.

Bart immediately told me to take Elavil, 25mg, nightly.

I did some research. It's another tricyclic antidepressant. I have avoided taking the Cymbalta that was prescribed for something else (I think neuropathy) and found another remedy that worked. I'm not depressed. If I was on both these things, I'd be a little loopy -- but probably really happy!

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with this -- probably try potassium, magnesium and calcium supplements. My thighs hurt a smidge right now...could be from the dex, or the velcade, or even from the Zometa (but I doubt it as the pain was there before I got the Zometa yesterday). Nothing major but enough to make me wonder what's going on.


*My new favorite word.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you know this, but you can get quinine on your own by drinking tonic water. It is not prescription strength, but it could be helpful. Tastes pretty good, too.

    I'm a big fan of raisins for potassium over potatoes and bananas. You don't need to eat too many so you don't lose ground in the battle of the bulge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It probably doesn't help you much, Nick, but as a lifelong runner I've found that B-vitamins really seem to help when things start to cramp up for me. Also electrolytes, which further adds to the potassium suggestion.

    Cheers,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete